Archery Carnival in Taitung


BY BRUCE YOUNG APRIL 2 , 2018
The national traditional aboriginal archery competition was held in Taitung County on March 24. In order to learn more about the event, we interviewed Ms.溫 who competed this year.
the photo with permission from Ms.溫

Q: Which tribe do you belong to?

A: Puyuma.

Q: How did you and your tribe members make the bow and arrow?
A: We use traditional material like bamboo and wood to make our bows and arrows. We don’t make them by ourselves nowadays. We pay professional artisans to make it because they have a certain format.

Q: What is the importance of archery in your culture?
A: In the past, we used these traditional weapons to hunt for our food. Nowadays we hold this event to preserve the tradition and to tell our children about our culture.

Q: How often does your tribe hold the competition?
A: For the biggest one, it’s about once a year. But we’ve got friendly competitions once or twice a month for teams in my tribe to practice.

Q: How often do you practice?
A: For me, archery is a relaxing sport. I don’t really take serious practice time. I just practice when I have time.

Q: How do you practice?
A: We will practice archery at a small shooting range in the elementary school. We have a leader and coach to teach us the right position.

Q: Why and when did you start to practice archery?
A: I have practiced it for almost three years. I do it because it’s kind of a relaxing activity, and also I can get exercise through archery.

Q: Does archery have an age limit to play?
A: Not really. We have teams for children, adults, and elders.

Q: What does archery mean to you?
A: It’s a sport and also has a cultural meaning. I like the positive feeling when I play with my teammates. I play it with my husband. I think archery can improve our relationship. And it also improves coordination as well.

Q: Will you teach your children how to do archery?
A: I have two daughters. They tried archery before, but they didn’t really show any interest. So I decided to teach them when the time comes.

Q: Puyuma is a maternal society. Are there any taboos for women?
A: In the formal festival, women cannot touch the weapons or go hunting in the mountains. But we can play archery when it’s not an official one.

Q: What does “maternal society” means?
A: It means women are the boss of a family. When a marriage comes, the man has to enter the woman’s family.




Contact Amazing Taitung Editors about this story at TheAmazingTaitung@gmail.com
Powered by Blogger.